Monday, November 3, 2014

Bennington Vermont #1: I Got Gass

Dearest Family,
Happy birthday Brad and happy birthday tomorrow mom!!! I love you both!
This is going to be SUCH a hard letter to write! I'll try to keep in mind that I'll be seeing all of you again someday and will have eternity to tell you all of my stories :) It looks like you all had a great Halloween and Hyrum's costume wins for being the creepiest. Haley... your clothes are so going to feel my wrath when you leave on your mission cuz I see that you are wearing my most favorite clothes... We'll talk later.
But these past... 2 weeks? Have been basically insane. But a good kind of insane for the most part! I'll just wrap up the MTC with the best moments and our last day together as District 59 B and then tell about being a for real missionary!
The MTC:
-I forgot to tell you last time that apparently I sleep talk in my sleep... and I teach lessons!!! My sleep talking has truly been out of control because I woke myself up one night yelling at Derek to shut up and another night I woke up cuz I was laughing so hard at something Breton said in my dream. My poor MTC sisters. One morning Sister Sigleer said she didn't think my lesson was going very well that night cuz I was getting frustrated with my investigator for not keeping her commitments. Ha!
-Oh! P-day! We went to the temple and to the BYU book store. I saw Brother Feilbach. That was cool. Being in the celestial room with my darling district was so like heaven.
Last Lessons with our Investigators:
-Our last lesson with Emily (Sis. Davis) was one of those amazing lessons where you are speaking to the investigator but really you are more experiencing the lesson than teaching it. It was AMAZING. Before our lesson, Sister Collette was uneasy for the first time ever. We planned to bring a "member" (just Sis. Sigleer) so Emily would have a friend at church and Sis. Collette was so worried about that. But, she's amazing and trusts me so much, because I told her that I felt really good about it, she trusted that it was a good idea. The beginning of the lesson was so rough but suddenly I just dropped the lesson and kind of told Emily about an experience from my life. I was getting a little choked up, but Emily and Sis. Collette (I love her) were in tears. Sis. Collette was actually like bawling. Haha It was incredible because none of what came out of my mouth was my plan at all and the spirit was so strong. I was so sad to leave Sister Davis and 'Emily'. She cried when we said goodbye.
-Our last lesson with Victoria was way weird cuz it was ove skype but she couldn't get it to work where we could see her face... so we just saw the dashboard of her car the whole time. It was awkward and kind of sad saying goodbye to a dashboard instead of her face because we really do love her. Oh well.
Favorite MTC moments:
-There's this screen in the cafeteria with people's names on it telling you to come to the front office for some reason. So mysterious. So much fame. So I always was telling Sister Collette that the day one of our names are up there will be the happiest day of my life. Well, when Sis. Collette lost her MTC ID card, we walk into the lunch room, and her name was on the board! I just screamed and dragged her to the front desk. At the end of lunch, the board said TWO of our elders names. We were so excited but we had to wait till dinner, after classes, to go to the front desk. By the time dinner came... on the screen said "Brynn Suzanne Hallsted". I was beyond happy. Me, Elder Berry and Elder Spindler all got a picture pointing to our names. I'll send it when it gets sent to me!
-Greatest moment ever... another Sister C peeing her pants story! So, this is a kind of sad story because we were in one of the little chapel rooms, practicing our song for Sacrament meeting after dinner and it was dark and quiet and kind of spiritual. We sang Come Thou Fount. The girls sang the first line, the elders sing second then we all come in and sing the third together. Classic, you know. And us sisters sounded so good together and the spirit was really strong in that dark chapel room during the first verse, but then... the elders come in and they are all really great! It's just that Elder E comes in singing all opera-style. Way off with lots of vibrato and it. is. so. funny. It's mostly hilarious that all us sisters try so hard to stay serious. But then one of looks at another, kind of smile a little and one by one we all have to back out of the circle cuz we are trying to hold in a laugh. We are laughing SO hard eventually. This time, I was on the floor laughing somewhere, the other sisters had to take a seat but Sister C couldn't move. Her legs were in the most awkward position and she's yelling "I can't make it to the bathroom! We killed those poor elders self-esteem and I feel bad. When we sang it for sacrament meeting these elders in our zone started giggling and I was gonna come beat them up after wards cuz only WE can laugh at our elders. We did a decent job in sacrament meeting and I almost started crying cuz I love them.
-I became the coolest sister in the zone when I showed up with donuts to eat after class that Sister Pew gave me. Haha! It was awesome!
We had lots more meetings and classes of saying goodbyes, a wonderful temple walk, and meetings where Brother Bilbro talked about dad the whole time again :) The devotional on Sunday of course was amazing. Singing in the MTC is a once in a lifetime experience that I so crave right now. Me and Sister Collette really let go and just scrrreamed those songs! It was SO fun cuz it's so loud nobody knows who exactly is screaming :)
When we said goodbye to the elders, I surprisingly didn't cry! At the last moments together our weirdest selves came out. I found myself singing "Part of your World" in that nasty voice I do and Elder Berry became Gloria Jenkins, his middle-aged, chain smoker self. The elders walked us to our rooms, shook all of our hands and we all yelled goodbye down the sidewalk till we got inside. The sisters won with the last goodbye.

Going to New York:
-Woke up at 2 AM. Awful. I'll send you a picture when it gets sent to me of how I slept on the front runner. You'd be embarrassed but it was comfy. Haha
-That phone call from the airport was torture!!! There was a girl sobbing next to me and I could tell you guys were crying :) Don't do that! Haha! I loved it though. I'm so sorry that I didn't call from Detroit. I gave away my passalong card but it was just at Salt Lake to another member my age who asked for one so it's kind of cheating.
-I slept like 40 minutes maybe on those flights. Awful.
-President and Sister Wirthlin are the cutest!!! We went to Gino & Joes Pizza and played two truths and a lie, just like I already knew we would. We got to sleep in their house. Super super fancy and beautiful!

Transfers:
-I still didn't get a lot of sleep. I wasn't nervous, but I was just sick and super exhausted. This was an awful day. We went through a lot of "trainings" that I really can't remember cuz I was practically sleeping and then.... we got our companions.
This is where Gas comes in :)
 It was just me, Sister Collette and another Sister left when President said that they have kind of a unique situation for this area. I immediately knew it was me. I put my bag over my shoulder and got ready to stand. This area is not in New York. It's the only area outside of it. This area is Bennington Vermont. Then he called "Sister Hallsted". Everyone cheers, we have to give our companions a hug and get a picture together. I was the only one who gave my old companion a hug before we left our row. That's cuz nobody loves there companion as much as I love Sister Collette.
That day was really rough. Saying goodbye to Sister Collette, Sister Seader and Sister Sigleer was super super hard. I'm actually starting to cry just writing about it.
Gosh, I'm awful at writing emails cuz I have to go.

But the drive to Bennington was rough. I couldn't sleep and Sister Gass didn't talk. But I understand her so much more now and we are getting closer and closer everyday!! I've learned so much already. She's only been out for three months and I know she was super terrified to be a trainer. I'm hoping that I've made it easy on her so far!
Things about Bennington:
-This place is like Halloweentown. The leaves on the ground are GORGEOUS, Halloween was SO adorable, 
-It seems to be a requirement for everyone to own like three cats and a dog or two. It is going to be no problem dealing with Schofield after this!

Well, I'll write better next time, I just had SO much catching up to do! I already am starting to love the people despite a lot of things and I need to tell you about Sunday next time! I am now a big believer in the magic of Sundays. If you can make it to Sunday, everything will be okay.
I love you all SO much and I've loved seeing the support from everyone on facebook! It is soooo fun :)
Sure love ya mommy, daddy, Ammon, Amanda, Derek, Breton, Haley, Hannah, Hyguy, Phoebe, Schofield, and especially baby Deriqua-Qwinaenae.
Sure love ya,
Sister Brynnie Halls

No comments:

Post a Comment