Monday, August 17, 2015

Oswego #4 - FALLING IN LOVE WITH OSWEGO

Dearest Family,

Everyone wrote me such stellar emails this week... how am I supposed to have time to write you all one too?! Also, I guess there's no rule now against emailing other sisters in the mission so now all I wanna do is write Sister Hansen, but I'm trying to limit myself :) It's weird to get emails from "Jordan". They blitzed Bennington this week. Green with jealous rage.

Anyways, this week was AMAZING. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the miracles that are taking place in Oswego. This isn't at all the same area that I came to week 2. We got transfer calls and our whole district is staying the same, which we expected. Sometimes I think Sister Baxter is going to hate having another transfer with crazy me, but we're working things out.

I'm not even sure where to start. It looks like Oswego may become the next Bennington and I'm thrilled. Speaking of Bennington, they are putting a set of elders in as well as the sisters!!!!! I almost pooped my pants when I found out!!!! Elder Hong is going to be training there and he's been talking to me a lot about it. I love how people still act like Bennington is my area. It will always be my baby. When I went back there for exchanges this transfer, it was the most incredible thing to see how much it has grown. I have full faith that it will be a ward in no time at all. I put everything I had into that area and it feels incredible to know that I helped the Lord build up His church in Vermont. Every little effort is not so little when the Lord is in charge.

Like Bennington, you can feel how much the Lord loves the Fulton ward when you walk into the building. The difference is that the members don't have much faith. It looks branch size to me, but they say a lot of members are still out of town. Hm. It needs to get bigger. Sunday was especially good, because a lot of the members are finally starting to trust us.

Monday, the elders came to Oswego and we went to Fort Ontario. Just the coolest thing ever. Looks like Lord of the Rings. Plus it was raining. Super cool. That night, we had dinner at the Rowley family's house and it must have been good because they signed up to feed us every Monday now. woot woot.

I think we had more other lessons this week than I've ever had in a week my whole mission. I'm all about this short, frequent lessons business. We picked up 4 new investigators this week too. Super solid ones. Also! Remember how no one would give us referrals? Well, we got NINE referrals this week! I've never gotten any good referrals except from Brother Fredette in GF so that was a total miracle.

One of them is a 17 year old boy named Ben. An HQ referral (which never ever happens in this mission). He went to the Pageant and is friends with some kid in our ward. He looks a lot like Jacob Abts. He decided to meet with us because he's had a crazy month. His grandma went to the hospital, he got in a bad car crash the day before we met him and his mom died two weeks ago. SO sad, huh? He's pretty incredible and his prayers tell us that he so badly wants to find the true church. Good because we have it!

We thought we almost lost Elizabeth because we were out in her backyard teaching her and suddenly her mom came out yelling at us, acting like we were gonna kidnap her child. We were pretty freaked out. Haha We just said sorry and walked down the street. Why would we kidnap her? What would we do with a 13 year old girl? I just don't know. But Elizabeth was yelling at her when we left and I was super sad. I love Elizabeth and I wanted to pick up her whole family. But we tracted a bit, then saw Elizabeth running to us. I guess her mom told her to be in the front yard and had called her name and couldn't find her. Plus, Elizabeth almost got kidnapped this week I guess. We talked with her mom after that. She felt so bad and we told her it was fine. She now trusts us, but won't really talk to us. But her chubby little brother is sitting in on lessons now and it's adorable cuz she hates him.

Oh my, I forgot to tell you that our new investigator Patti (a referral from some recent converts in Plattsburg) texted us and said she wants to be baptized. As soon as possible. Wowzer. She's getting baptized the 29th. Crazy, huh? We've only taught her the Restoration but she's read through all of the pamphlets. She's hard to meet with cuz she's always in the hospital in Syracuse. It's complicated. But she's solid! Already like a normal ward member.

Also, I think it was this week that we set Bruce on date to get baptized. September 12th. But then we taught him the Word of Wisdom and he was like "NO." Awkward... then he lied to us and said he doesn't have any beer in his house anyways when we totally peeked in his fridge one time like the creepers we are. Oh well. Agency. We'll see what happens with him. I love him a lot so I hope he gets it.

I never really write about the fun things that happen anymore- not in my journal or anything- but fun things really do happen. Like, we were on someone's porch tracting, they rejected us and Sister Baxter accidentally smashed a huge hole in their porch as we walked away. She's still super embarrassed and won't admit it was hilarious. Also, I locked myself out of our apartment today. I thought she was outside waiting for me to come and I ran out and locked the door behind me. All while I was talking to her too. I could just hear her dying laughing inside while I'm knocking at the door. We also went to the beach- I'll try to send pictures. Holy cow. It is more beautiful than Sodus Point. Well, just much bigger waves. Everything's lighthouse and sail boat themed. Oh, I also got attacked by bugs. They love me. I have 22 bites on one leg and people ask me what's wrong with my leg. haha I have a total of 37 bites on my body. I am so proud of myself. I haven't scratched one. I can feel my leg hurting where the tick bit me again. Not sure if this is supposed to keep happening, but whatever. 

Saturday was a crazy day because we woke up really early to drive with Bishop and the elders to Syracuse to the Matthew 25 Farm. Lots of missionaries go there with ward members each summer and all crops go to food kitchens. We accidentally showed up an hour early and helped until there was lightning. They made us leave because of it. I was super bummed. But then we went to Mexico (yes, Mexico is in our area... and Phoenix) and watched the elders play in a random basketball tournament. it was hilarious and super awkward being there. It was the most mixed up day of my life.

Sorry this is so obnoxiously long and really scattered!

I love you all and am so grateful for your prayers!!!

Love,

Sister Hallsted

No comments:

Post a Comment